Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmm

Where does the time go !?! I can't believe how long it's been since my last post ! Let me wish everyone a Happy Valentine's Day ! I hope you get to spend it with some one you love.

Now on to the things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmm............................................................

A week ago last Friday my aunt passed away, my Mum's sister. Mum will be gone 22 years in April and I need to share a little story about her first.

I moved to Florida in 1984, being the "baby" in my family I was definately Mum's favorite (at least i like to think so) Anyway, after being in Florida a short time, my telephone rang one weekday afternoon and it was Mum ! This was really unusual because we only talked on Sundays (long distance calls were more expensive then and weekend rates were less) The first thing Mum said to me was, everything is okay, but I just heard this song on the radio and "I just called to say I love you ". Yep, she had just heard that old (it was new then) Stevie Wonder song, and called me, her baby. A few months later she passed away and ever since when I hear that song it makes me remember that phone call from Mum. I used to ball my eyes out everytime I heard that song, sometimes I still do.

Okay, now fast forward to 2007, my aunt is in the hospital and not doing well at all. My cousin is in from out of town and they have told her to call anyone that would like to see my aunt, this is on Monday. Well, Monday goes by and Tuesday and Wednesday, she's still hanging on. Wednesday nite I silently told Mum to come get her sister, Thursday, the same thing she's hanging on and now several times through out the day I silently told Mum to come and get her sister. Well she hung on until Friday and I do think that maybe Mum did come for her. Why do I think that ?

Well, Friday evening I went into the kitchen to do some baking, it was just about 7PM ( i had just finished watching the network news), I turned on the radio and Stevie Wonder is just starting to sing, "I just called to say I love you". Okay, not really a big deal, I smile to myself and continue on with my baking and 20 minutes later on the very same radio station Stevie Wonder is again belting out, "I just called to say I love you". This time as I smiled to myself it was through tears. I think Mum was telling me that she came for my aunt and stopped by to tell me she loves me. You might think that I'm nuts, but that's okay. Because even after almost 22 years of not having Mum around, I felt like she was right there in my kitchen with me, if only for a few minutes......................

1 comment:

Deneen said...

I don't think you are nuts-it's a terrific story and thanks for sharing