Saturday, November 11, 2006

Crockpot Dyeing Results

Okay, blogger seems to be cooperating this morning, so I have to type fast.

This is what the water looked like after 2 hours on low. I turned the crockpot off at this point.


After sitting for about another hour, the water was clear, but still quite warm.


Now for the results. As you can see, it turned out quite dark and didn't dye evenly. I think I'm to blame for the uneveness, the water was so dark that I couldn't really tell if I had "mushed" the yarn down enough.


Just a close up of the uneveness.

The finished product is still drying, but it is a very dark purple. I'll show you what it looks like when it is dry.

Since this was soooooooo easy to do, I'm going to try it again today, using much less dye. I'm still going to use the food coloring, attempting to make maybe a sunset orange color. While that cooks, I'm going to do the Kool Aide thing.

I have to start some laundry first. So if blogger continues to be nice there will be more pictures later today.

3 comments:

Deneen said...

I like the color and a lot of time the unevenness like that is from where you had the skein tied-someone suggested using cotton to tie it-I don't know. When you wind it into a ball, it won't look uneven, but more variegated. I use the LB Fishermans I dye to make slippers all the time.

Anonymous said...

I like the color and the uneveness. What does it look like wound into a ball?

naomi said...

I haven't wound it yet, I'll show it to you when I do.